We love tofu around here and ran across this Easy Tofu Sandwich recipe….it’s a hit, with a few modifications of course. Inspired by Veggies Don’t Bite
- 1 block firm tofu, 16oz, pressed.
- 3 TBL tamari or soy sauce
- 2 TBL maple syrup, or other sweetener
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 – 2 TBL Jalapeno Bacon Parma!, plus extra for topping sandwich filling
Ideas for serving:
- your favorite bread
- thousand island dressing
- lettuce or cabbage, finely sliced
- cucumber, sliced thinly
- more Parma!
- If you prefer to bake your tofu preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Or you can pan fry it like we did.
- Carefully slice the tofu into ¼ inch thick slices making 8 squares. You are slicing it length wise to make long thin squares. Not little rectangles. Place them in a wide container or on a plate.
- In a bowl, mix the tamari, maple, line/lemon juice, Jalapeno Bacon Parma!, and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Coat the tofu slices with the marinade on both sides. You can let them marinate for a few minutes or over night. The longer the better.
- If baking, lay them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake another 5-7 minutes, depending on how crispy you want them. Be careful not to burn them.
- If pan frying, put some oil in your hot pan and a place the tofu, filling the pan. Cook on each side, until desired crispness.
- Allow to cool as you assemble your toppings. Build the sandwich by spreading the Thousand Island on the bread. Then add the tofu, cucumber, tomato, cabbage, sprouts and Parma!…put the top piece on and enjoy!