Cheesy Vegan Pumpkin Seeds are easy to make. Pumpkin seeds are full of valuable nutrients. One ounce contains 42% of the RDI (Recommended Daily Intake) of manganese, 33% of RDI of phosphorus, 37% of the RDI of magnesium, and 23% of the RDI of iron. They also contains a lot of antioxidants like carotenoids and vitamin E, a decent amount of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and folate. Pumpkins seeds are full of antioxidants that may help protect against disease and reduce inflammation. They help improve prostate and bladder health, can lower blood sugar levels, are high in fiber, and may even help improve sleep. Over all, pumpkin seeds, are a power house of goodness.
We used a dehydrator here to dry the pumpkin seeds, but you can also use an oven.
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Parma! – any flavor works well here
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 – Soak pumpkin seeds in filtered water over night, strain and rinse. You can skip this step if you don’t have the time.If you are using fresh pumpkin seeds, the trick is to place them in a bowl of warm water, the seeds will float to the top, making them easier to separate from the threads and you can more easily remove any flesh that’s sticking to them.
- 2 – If using a dehydrator, turn it on to 108 degrees to preheat. If using an oven, preheat to 300 degrees.
- 3 – Combine all ingredients except the pumpkin seeds mix well. Then add the pumpkin seeds and stir to coat well.
- 4 – Spread evenly on your dehydrator sheets and dehydrate about 18 hours (overnight and most of the next day) until they are a texture you enjoy.
If using an oven, spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and bake the seeds, stirring occasionally, until dry and toasted, 40 minutes to an hour.